Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Blackbird

Growing up, a picture of one hung on the wall over my bed. I didn't fully grasp the power or majesty of the Blackbird, but she certainly captured my imagination. I was fortunate enough to see one in person at the Udvar-Hazy extension to the National Air & Space Museum. Even sitting quiet among exhibits in a steel hangar, the things looks fast and very much alive. A triumph of American ingenuity and unbridled need to win the Cold War. Win we did, and I'm certain the SR-71 had more to do with it than many of us will ever know.

I came across this post about the jet at Maggie's Farm (via Instapundit) which seems more like a love letter. I would feel much better about our fight against Islamic Fascism and the security of the brave troops serving our country if a Blackbird was still flying for them today. Like an eagle soaring in the heavens, she surely was a symbol of our freedom, strength, and will to succeed. Which leaves me wondering... do we have any eagles today?

No comments: