Monday, December 3, 2007

Tortoise or the Hare?

According to the most recent Rasmussen Reports' survey, Mike Huckabee is surging in the polls and is now within just a few points of the top spot nationwide. Only time will tell if the surge in support for Governor Huckabee is sustainable. I have my doubts.

I was enamored with Governor Huckabee early on, and he's still one or two at the top of my list. But the more I listen to him speak the more I find myself with doubt. While his Christian conservative values are undeniable, his conservative values as a whole are somewhat questionable. On illegal immigration, health care, mortgage reform and the broad ideal of limited government... Governor Huckabee leaves as many questions as answers. As more people begin to pay attention to the race and Huckabee gains traction, I wonder how many staunch conservatives will leave his side or start to question their support with the same uneasy feeling I have? The gains will probably outweigh the losses, but will there be enough left to win the race?

Its virtually impossible to agree with a candidate 100%. But on core conservative issues such as limited government, and securing our borders... is there enough? Who knows? But the parallels to another Governor from Arkansas are truly striking.

1 comment:

DR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.