Monday, November 26, 2007

Hogan Knows Alimony.

For a brief period of time Hulk Hogan was my idol. Not a politician or a teacher, probably not even a multi-millionaire at the time... just a balding wrestler and seriously bad actor. I watched intently as Hogan went toe to toe with Andre the Giant and faced off against Bobby "The Brain" Heenen and his family. I watched every match, played with the action figures and read anything I could find. When he said "say your prayers and eat your vitamins", I listened. I learned his real name was Terry and that he had once been a chubby kid like me. He was my hero.

I was about eight.

I quit watching wrestling a few years later. I told people it had gotten too fake... but it probably always had been and I just got too old to ignore it. In college I tuned in a time or two because RAW, WCW nitro & the nWo was all the rage. Hulk's trademark yellow shirt was now black and the Real American Hulk Hogan had replaced by Hollywood Hulk Hogan's darker "badguy" persona. Even though I knew it was all an act I still wanted to believe that my childhood hero was a good guy. I couldn't stand anything else. It wasn't fun anymore, my hero had fallen, and I quickly tuned it out.

Then a year or two ago Hulk Hogan again entered my conscience. On Hogan Knows Best you got to see Hulk and his seemingly well-adjusted two kids in their daily life. His relationship with his wife Linda seemed real... and it was possible to once again believe that sometimes good guys do make it in the wrestling business (and show business). Hulk sacrificed his body and time to help his children. And he sacrificed for his wife too... taking dance lessons and playing along with psychics or anything else Linda (or the producers) could throw at him.

Hulk was no longer my hero, but he had regained my respect. He told his kids that he loved them, and watched over his daughter like any other dad. He seemed to work hard at his marriage, and even fought a town council so they could keep their pets. He did everything he could so his children and wife could achieve their dreams... or so it seemed on reality tv.

But just like wrestling, apparently all isn't as it seems. Last week Hulk's wife Linda filed for divorce. And my one-time hero has fallen again.

Keep training, saying your prayers and eating your vitamins, Hulk. Its going to take a lot to write that alimony check.

No comments: