Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thoughts on the Top 5

I've been struggling as of late with just who to support. It is a blessing to have such strong Republican prospects for the nomination... but with such an important election ahead (aren't they all), it is imperative that the decision of who to support isn't taken lightly. If the choice of the other side it Hillary or Obama, I will certainly vote for the Republican nominee, even if I have to hold my nose doing so. But the hope is that I don't have to hold my nose to do it... I'd like to hold my head up high and vote for someone whom I truly believe in. Thus, the decision of whom to support is still largely undecided... and time is running out.

Every time I lean towards Fred Thompson, I come up wanting more. I really, really like Thompson's message and thoughtfulness. We need someone who thinks and isn't just offering humorous quips or vicious one-liners. We need to get away from this entitlement society and strong, overbearing government. Our national government should protect our lives and liberty, but do little else. As much as Fred fits that bill, media reports keep pushing the thought the people are less than inspired after hearing Senator Thompson speak. Fred is right in all that he says... this is a crucial point in our history. In order to overcome this desperate hour, we need someone who is going to inspire us to continued greatness. That is where I fear Thompson falls short.

The obvious choice to fill the inspiration void should be Governor Huckabee. Every time I hear Huckabee I become a little more invigorated and energized. I like how the Governor explains most things and we agree on quite a bit. But every once in a while there is a glimpse of a man who might be disconnected from conservatism. Increased government regulation that prohibits customer choice of mortgage products is not conservative. And let's not even discuss the Governor's somewhat mythical ideas on illegal immigration... he doesn't seem to walk a fine line, but rather jump from one side to the other. That's fine... these are tough issues that require thought and deliberation... but they are also very important issues and I need to know we have some agreement, at least in principal. I think I know where Governor Huckabee is coming from when we disagree.

For me, after these two, there is everyone else. Giulini, McCain, Romney.

I was surprised to see Pat Robertson endorse Giuliani yesterday. I like the Mayor... but on social issues, gun rights, immigration, and so much else... we just don't see eye to eye, and that sentiment is certainly shared by many Conservatives and Christians alike. But does a Pat Robertson endorsement in 2007 really mean that much? Like the late Reverend Falwell, Pat Robertson isn't always treated fairly or honestly by the mainstream media, nor is he the Protestant version of the Pope as some leftists would have you believe. And just because Robertson picks the Mayor doesn't mean all of the other candidates' religious support will fade away. But if security and a nation in crisis is really the focus of the electorate, I wonder if Rudy isn't an appropriate choice?

John McCain is a hero. John McCain is a patriot. John McCain is someone who I would love to see as Vice President or more appropriately Secretary of Defense or State. But as much as I respect him, I don't want him to be President. He has certainly had his trouble with Conservatives and Christians in the past, and still seems to think Conservative Christians are just some far-right group whose support he begrudgingly needs comparable to MoveOn.org for the left. As far as I'm concerned, that's only a few steps away from Rosie O'Donnell comparing Christians to terrorists... and its miles away from the truth. Yes you need the Conservative Christian support to wage a successful Republican bid for the Presidency... but these are the same voices who this country was founded on... I don't think having their support is a necessary evil... its an honor.

Then there's Romney. I was absolutely enraged when the man who campaigned in Massachusetts by distancing himself from Republicans and Reagan decided to invoke his name and legacy so many times during last month's debate. While far from John Kerry, the Bush 2004 campaign showed how to successfully run against a flip-flopper... do we really need to hand the Democrats the winning strategy in 2008?

1 comment:

Will said...

I was pretty surprised to see Robertson endorse Giuliani given Rudy's progressive stance on many social issues. This makes it all the more obvious that Robertson's endorsement is purely political. Without a Republican in the White House Robertson's brand of Christian conservatism will cease to have any meaningful political influence. He's betting on Giuliani winning the nomination and he knows his endorsement may secure it.