Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Proud at the Primary

As a North Carolinian, my voice will finally be heard. Its been a long time since the Presidential race began... too long in fact, but today the race finally came to North Carolina. North Carolina doesn't have an open primary, if your voter registration lists a party affiliation, you can only vote in that party's primary. Since I didn't switch my affiliation last month, I couldn't vote against Barack Obama today... but I got to vote my conscience nonetheless.

Ideally I could have voted for Fred Thompson today, but North Carolina doesn't let you write in a candidate, your only option is "No Preference". Well, that wouldn't be accurate, because I do have a preference, and voting "No Preference" would be as much of a lie as voting for John McCain, something I can't do as long as another conservative is in the field even though I'll have to do it this fall. I should have known what my other options were, but honestly other than knowing McCain and Ron Paul would be on the ballot (and Fred would not) I had no idea what other Republican candidates would be listed. So I was presently surprised, almost gleeful when I saw Alan Keyes' name next to a bubble on my sheet. And with the circle of a pen, I was more proud of this vote than any other primary vote I've ever cast. I didn't have to hold my nose and vote for the lessor of evils like I will in the Fall. Alan Keyes is a true Conservative who believes in our Constitution as it was written not as some liberal judge interprets it, and he's a Christian whose not afraid of the values and Christian foundation in which our country was founded. Mike Huckabee (another option on my ballot) hits one of those three points, Ron Paul might hit two, I couldn't even tell you how many John McCain gets in that test, but Alan Keyes gets all three.

My vote won't change anything, John McCain will still win the state and the nomination... but I hope there are a number of other Conservatives out there today who took a stand and made a statement. There was a Conservative on the ballot today and I was proud to have voted for him.

I find it ironic that as I type this the news media is talking about the state getting to vote for an African American candidate today. Of course they are talking about Obama, but there is another African American candidate on the ballot in North Carolina, one who actually stands for something and would be good for this country. That man is Alan Keyes, and whether he gets 100 votes or 10,000 today, I hope John McCain counts every one of them. Those votes could have gone to McCain, but instead we voted our beliefs and our conscience.

No comments: