Tuesday, September 4, 2007

$3.5 Million for a non-campaign is not a significant amount of money.

That's right. $3.5 Million Dollars raised in a couple months on a campaign that it not yet a campaign, is not a significant amount of money according to FoxNews' political reporter Carl Cameron.

I disagree. I have no data to back this up, but I believe there are many people like myself who are impressed by Fred Thompson and interested in his candidacy much more so than Giuliani, Romney or McCain... but who refuse to contribute to the campaign until it actually is one. I went so far as to e-mail his site a while back saying such. Will the money come pouring in on the 6th and 7th after Fred has formally announced? I don't know, but at the least it should tick up a notch or two.

I'm very happy about the prospects of a Thompson candidacy... and find him a better alternative to all but one of the current crop. Mike Huckabee still has the edge in my book... but that is subject to change as I get to know more about the candidates and their respective stances on the issues. Character, values, and so-called gravitas go along way... three values that Huckabee has in abundance, and I believe Thompson won't be short on either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Except Thompson's henpecked, not to mention his staff. Leaving my opinion at the previous, seriously speaking, the media will turn him into a circus.I'd rather he than anyone on the left by far, but I can't even say that I am convinced on his ability to practice what he preaches.

American Elephant said...

Time will tell whether or not he can practice what he preaches. His past does show he has remained firm on his abortion position, and the idea of limited government. He certainly has a history of fighting for the rule of law and the constitution. Other than that, time will tell. I'm not one of those people who only knew of Thompson as an actor... I've been impressed with him in a political arena for years. I really like the idea of someone who has moved in and out of public life... that is how the founders intended it. The idea of a lifelong career politician is a relatively new phenomenon.