Friday, September 7, 2007

Thank you and Welcome.

Mike Huckabee's blog highlighted American Elephant in a quick post yesterday along with another. For all of you who have come upon this site because of that, welcome.

I am more impressed than you might think because of the mention at the Huckabee Blog. If you read more than three or four posts and look at my links, you will find that while I'm leaning towards Governor Huckabee for President, I'm still keeping an open mind and have some interest in the Thompson campaign as well. The Fred Thompson candidacy has excited me over the summer (and yes, I knew of him *before* Law & Order). BUT, the more I learn about Governor Huckabee, the more I lean his way. Still, in just a few posts since this blog has started, I have not only talked positively about another candidate, I have also disagreed with Huckabee on his use of the word "racism" when describing some of the anti-illegal immigration movement.

So I'm not "in the bag" for the Huckabee campaign yet... and the fact that they would look at this site and not only choose to link to it, but mention it in a post, gives me even greater respect for his campaign.

If you browse around the rest of the political blogosphere, you will find people (especially on the left) vilifying other people over differing opinions. It seems that in some circles you have to either agree with a candidate 100% of the time, or at least pretend to. If you can't do that, then you are not a true believer and are removed from the ranks.

One of the things that makes me proud most days is that conservatives usually try rise above that. Most of us can disagree without calling into question your intelligence. And as a whole, I believe we recognize that everyone brings their own history and circumstance to the table which shapes their point of view. If we agree on most things, and all of the big-picture things... then we can discuss the little issues when the time is right.

There are a few things I will not waiver on. The candidate I vote for must believe in the sanctity of life. The candidate I vote for must understand the threats facing this country and take seriously the challenge of facing those threats. The candidate I vote for must understand that part of that security as well as protecting American culture includes closing our borders and stopping the flood of illegal immigration. The candidate I vote for must believe that the role of government should be limited and for the people, not for career politicians. The candidate I vote for must understand that this country was founded on Christian values... and whether the left likes it or not, those values shaped our constitution and culture. I want a President who is humbled before God and understands that he can not do anything of substance without His help and guidance.

So far two candidates meet that minimum criteria, with one seemingly a bit more than the other. Who said there was no choice for true conservatives on the right? If we have two strong (electable) candidates that meet those needs then we are doing better than most years.

The more I get into this race, the more I have hope. "And hope does not disappoint us..."

No comments: