Friday, January 18, 2008

The E-Mail I Just Sent to Huckabee's Campaign

When I first was inspired by Governor Huckabee I submitted this site to his blog roll. I let the campaign and my visitors know that I was not decided on Governor Huckabee but was leaning his way. They not only included me, but mentioned American Elephant on Huckabee's blog. I was honored at the time and a bit humbled. It said a lot to me about a campaign that would include someone who wasn't in the bag, but was publicly on the fence and critical of Huckabee and was openly still deciding on a candidate.

Times have changed. The more I have learned the more I have backed away. I announced my decision to fully support Fred Thompson on January 3rd. But my change has gone even further. I have not just chosen the better of two candidates.... I am fully committed to one and feel betrayed by the other. It is with that sentiment that I sent the following letter to the Huckabee campaign, asking for them to remove American Elephant from their blogroll. I have never hidden my struggle with choosing a candidate, and I was admittedly very pleased when the Huckabee campaign linked to this blog. Therefore I find it only appropriate to also publicly display the e-mail I just sent their campaign asking to now be removed from that very blogroll.

Please remove my blog, American Elephant Blog (elephantusa.blogspot.com) from your Blogroll. I have been waffling about Governor Huckabee for a while, but his latest comments over the last few weeks have given me no choice but to completely withdraw my support. Governor Huckabee doesn't seem to stand on any of his principles (like another former Governor from Arkansas). I expect more from my Presidential candidate and from a Baptist Minister. Huckabee should be a beacon of character and principles, someone we can all be proud represents us. But his latest change on the Constitution as a living document, his intellectual inconsistency on illegal immigration, his change in stance on a national smoking ban, wanting to close Gitmo, etc all leave me unable to honestly support the man who does not have the strength to maintain his convictions.

I feel lied to and betrayed by the man who portrayed himself as a conservative Christian with principles. I don't question his faith but I do question his courage, character, conservatism and consistency. I can not support him for the Presidency and request that my link be removed from his blog roll.

Thank you.


American Elephant
elephantusa.blogspot.com

3 comments:

SR said...

I once fully supported Huckabee and after time I began to question that support. For many of the same reasons you mention I began to worry I was supporting the wrong candidate. For a long time I researched the others to see if there was a conservative among them I could support.

That was when I found Fred. Once I made the decision to pull my suppport from Huckabee and to support Fred instead I instantly knew I had done the right thing. I only wish I had done it sooner.

Fleeting_Thoughts said...

I feel the same. He was in my top two and then he started coming up with some interesting stuff. Anyway, tell me "What is a Huckabee?"

http://fleetingthoughtsiii.blogspot.com/2008/01/what-is-huckabee.html

Michigan Redneck said...

Maybe we should all start a support group ;).

fleeting_thoughts,
I checked out your post, cute.